Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Lord Will Make You a House


A bunch of us moved our reformed Canuck friend, Norm, into his new condo this morning. The best thing about being over fifty and nursing a stiff back is that you get to take pictures while everyone else lifts stuff. A great group of guys got 'er done in only three hours. Why guys choose to move in August in Florida, I'll never know, but the man has his own place now. God is good. All the time.

After all the heavy lifting was over, I led us in a brief dedication of the place. I read from 2 Samuel 7. David thought he would build God a house, but God said, no. Rather He declared through the prophet that He would make him a house (v. 11). We call that the Davidic covenant. What a house!

It lead David to pray this way in v. 18. Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And then in v. 29, Now therefore may it may it please you to bless the house of your servant. We all lay hands on Normand asking God to bless the man and his new digs. It could be said of all us, who are we that He has brought us thus far, and oh how desperately we all need His blessing on our houses.

4 comments: