Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Sweet Sorrow of Saying Goodbye

Goodbye. It's a difficult word, a difficult task, particularly when you love the ones to whom you say it.

Paul experienced much of this with the Ephesian elders after his message at Miletus in Acts 20. Here's how Luke describes the scene in vv. 36-38.

And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all. And there was much weeping on the part of all; they embraced Paul and kissed him, being sorrowful most of all because of the word he had spoken, that they would not see his face again. And they accompanied him to the ship.

OGC said farewell to three choice families this morning. They have fellowshipped with us these past four years while the godly men involved finished their graduate degrees at RTS. They are princes to the man. Choice servants. I/we will miss them and their families dearly.

Among my consolations is that I may see their faces again. If not in this life, surely in the kingdom to come.

Jay, Justin, Graham, what a joy, what a privilege. You make me want to be a better pastor. May the Lord richly bless your efforts for Him in the new vineyards of service to which He now takes you. And may you be able to say with Paul some day, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race. I have kept the faith (2 Tim. 4:7).

I love you. If you ever need me, I am a phone call away. Grace and peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto here! For the little while that I've known you, young men, you have been a refreshing oasis of youthful spiritual exuberance. (Now howz that for parting words from a French Canadian man!?)

    ReplyDelete