Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Seasonable & Profitable Question

Are we holy? That's the question. J. C. Ryle calls it the most seasonable and profitable question anyone can ask of himself.

I ask to be heard today about this question. How stands the account between our souls and God? In this hurrying, bustling world, let us stand still for a few minutes and consider the matter of holiness. I believe I might have choseen a subject more popular and pleasant. I am sure I might have found one more easy to handle. But I feel deeply I could not have chosen one more seasonable and more profitable to our souls. It is a solemn thing to hear the Word of God saying, "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord" (Heb. 12:14).

A solemn thing indeed. Stand still for a time today and ask yourself this most seasonable and profitable question. Are you holy? What do you hear God say in response? Remember the gospel and do what He requires.

No comments:

Post a Comment